Saturday, December 03, 2011

Two Years After

Time passes by so fast. I just realized that the last entry I posted is already from two years ago.

On my last entry, I was only about to go into my new place and now I am here for nearly a couple of years and actually contemplating on moving again to a new place maybe mid next year.

The past two years has been quite busy, mostly with work. My old company closed eventually, six months after I wrote the 'Last Man Standing' post. This led me to freelance for around four months, doing exhibitions design and a few fit-out design work. If visa was not a big issue, I would have wanted to continue that set-up, getting enough money, managing my own time and giving me more freedom to do other things outside my work. But I needed to be employed to get a visa and after some job interviews and negotiations with different companies (I got job offers from interior design firms, exhibitions and event agencies and an architectural firm), I landed on a job as a Creative Head in a media and events company.

I became really busy with my new job and  I can consider it many times stressful with dealing with office politics and a few people who I am not in sync with in terms of how work is done. But on the other hand, my visa concern was addressed and I got to see another career path I could explore. I am one year and two months today of ups and down in this new company. Level of satisfaction is average, but I guess at this time of recession, no one can afford to be choosy.

I also got active in the Filipino architects community in Dubai. I tried to push an advocacy towards creating more leaders and managers in our community, which fortunately got well received by my peers. It is a vision very difficult to actualize, but it has to start somewhere and I am just happy to work with some great people to push it.

What is in my mind now? I am in an age that I really should put the different aspects of my life in a proper balance. Health, family and social life, work and professional improvement all needs to have their piece in my daily agenda. Seems getting tougher to manage actually; many times when I work on one, the others get a bit neglected. But this is the life challenge that I should face and overcome.




No comments: