Friday, August 14, 2009

Recession Blues

I tried dealing with recession with positive thinking, but now I am getting affected with what is happening to the people around me. I myself am experiencing paycuts, delayed salaries and forced unpaid leaves since the past few months, though I have managed to pay up my bills with my emergency fund (well, which is already almost gone). Personally, I am still optimistic that the economy will rebound in the next quarter, so I am not really feeling too worried until recently. It is just that in the last couple of weeks, I am seeing more people (whom I know) "surrendering to the battle of recession". One friend lost her job the second time and decided to go back to our home country. A few quit their job since the salaries aredelayed for months already. And a lot of people in our office are now in too much debt and so much behind on their rent that they are about to face eviction. Really tough times.

Three words come into my mind: gamble, survival and patience.

Gamble. Should I stay in a company which seems to be going and going down or should I find a new job but risk being one of the new staff that they will easily let go when they need to downsize?

Survival. If I stay put, how much longer can I can get through my personal financial crisis? The more debts I accumulate the more difficult for me to recover. Which translates too less and less options in many aspects of my life in the future.

Patience. A lot of things are put on hold and this seems to cause me some negative emotions: loosing drive on work, on personal improvements and on planning ahead.

Just thinking aloud...

No comments: